Wednesday, January 20, 2016

When a bargain isn't necessarily a bargain

Oh, I had such high hopes for this Gap coat. It has all the hallmarks of a winter sale seducer: it seems like a fantastic garment to transition from winter to spring, it's a nice design--not too casual, not too dressy--and most importantly, it was marked down from £99 to £31, which with a coupon came to £25. Mega-discount, and that really appeals to my penny-pinching mama side. But oh my lord, what was I thinking? Once it was in my arms and on my back, I could clearly see that I'd been the victim of a sale-rack hit and run. It was the wrong cut, wrong color, wrong fit, so with great regret, it went straight back to the store.

I think this is another lesson in that old maxim (which I just made up) that the sale rack does not necessarily present the bargains it at first seems to. It's easy to become seduced by a dramatic price slash of a potentially great find lurking among the other rejects from a tumultuous holiday season. What a markdown! How could I walk away from such a gem? Yet that exact thinking is where many of the sale rack's most vicious killers do their horrible work. Here's a quick checklist I should have run through before making this purchase:

  • Would I have bought it at full price?
  • Would I wear it in black? 
  • How much would I wear it? 
  • Will I wear it enough that it deserves its own space in my already over-crowded closet?
  • Is it something that was trendy in the fall, but won't be in the spring?

If I searched my heart I would realize that the answer was something I already knew: do not buy. And yet,  shopping the sales can be a great way to bag a bargain. For example, if you look for basics. Seems like the Gap is discontinuing my favorite pair of jeans, so I bought another pair. I also bought another pair of my favorite trousers, which were heavily discounted in the sale. So those definitely saved a bit. But then I discovered a really great handbag (non-sale) and a pair of flats (new arrivals) that went into my bag, therefore canceling out the insane bargain of the pink coat. But they are classics, and will be with me a long time, so I could look at them as a bit of an investment, and in the long run, that is saving.

Unlike a fuzzy pink wraparound car coat. Boo.

How did the January sales go for you? Did you save a ton of moolah and score any real gems? Please tell me how you did it.






PS. I'm trying to up my sketching game. Paintings instead of photos. Is it working?

No comments:

You may also be interested in...

Related Posts with Thumbnails